Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year!
I have to admit a few things - first I suck at this bloggy thing and second I suck at this getting healthy / running thing.
At least I have lately!
I realized that I am only blogging when I have something OK to report -- not all of the time. Doesn't really keep me honest! I started really thinking about what I wanted my New Years Resolution to be this year... so I started thinking about 2009. What went right and what went wrong!

So, 2009 a quick review:

I started off the year in great shape, running and working out most every day. I was at a good weight for me - around 185! August 2008 I ended an 8 week Challenge where I lost the most % weight in the group and won the challenge......I started at 221, I lost 27 pounds in those 8 weeks and by the end of 2008 I had lost 36 pounds and run my first EVER 5k race. So, January 2009 I was happy with my progress and proud of myself. Backwards was not an option!!!
Then something started to change....not really sure what it was but backwards happened!! I slowly started gaining weight! Next thing I knew I was at 195 and couldn't regain focus. I was still running but not consistently.
I was very excited in March when a group of us were notified that we got into the Nike Women's Half Marathon in October in San Francisco! I thought that was what I needed to focus and get back on track!
BUT NO!!! It got worse.
I never really trained for the Nike half - I did it, and I met my goal of running more than I walked, and I finished! But, that was a back up goal because I knew I was not in good enough shape to run the whole thing! And, I knew that the weight I had gained was also in the way! I really had a great time at the race and thought that would inspire me to get it together again!
BUT NO! It got worse!
I have done two other 10k races since then and have still been running, again with no consistency! The worst part is I have also gained more weight back.
So now I look back and see what those things were that contributed to the "BACKWARDS"
1. Breakfast at Starbucks - I love Starbucks and am a regular there every morning. The difference between skinny and backwards is the coffee and a pastry breakfast instead of coffee and oatmeal. The other difference is that I was making Starbucks coffee at home and making good breakfast decisions that included fruit, protein, vegis and whole grains - not SUGAR!
2. Fast food. YUCK! I am not a big fan of fast food but it sure is fast and easy! The difference between skinny and backwards was that I hardly ever ate at fast food and when I did salads and grilled chicken no bun! Not hamburgers and sundaes.
3. Cookies and Ice Cream! I have eaten so many cookies that I am sure I am going to turn into one! At least that is what I was told when I was a kid!!! I LOVE ice cream and am not sure I could ever give it up completely! I used to say that I ran for the right to eat ice cream! The difference between skinny and backwards was the amount of ice cream, add in the cookies and not be consistent with the running!!
4. No strength training. Skinny had running and strength training as a priority! Backwards had running when I could fit it in!
So now as I reflect back on 2009 I really do know exactly what happened!
Bad choices - Excuses - NO plan!!

This helped me plan for my 2010 resolution!

A very smart friend of mine said that 2010 resolutions don't start until the first Monday of the year!!

Those tomorrow!!!

1 comment:

  1. We all find our way...in our own time and for our own reasons. You'll get (and stay) there. Be focused. You CAN do it. :-)

    Sending good bloggy vibes from Orlando!

    ReplyDelete