Saturday, January 9, 2010

What are your “MUST HAVES” on your runs?

What are your “MUST HAVES” on your runs?


Happy Saturday!

I had a great 4.1 mile run today! No rain and it was actually warm (well warmer that it has been) and no rain!!! 3 miles tomorrow and I will have met my mileage goals for week 1 in 2010!!!!!


About a half mile into my run I realized that I forgot my lip stuff and didn’t put any on before I left my car! I was really bummed! That is my number one “must have” on my runs! My lips get really dry and bug me the entire time if I don’t have anything on them! I kept licking them during my run which makes it worse!! I would run naked as long as I had lip balm! OK, not really but you get my point!!! I couldn’t wait to get back to the car and slather my lips in Burt’s Bee’s Honey Lip Balm. Burt’s Bees is my favorite. It is thick enough that it stays on the entire run and also smooth enough that my lips don’t stick together!

Forgetting my lip balm made me think about other runners and what their must haves are on their runs.

What are your must haves?

Do other runners have them or am I just a crazy planner/creature of habit?


My other “must have” is my Nike+ ipod! I have fun tracking my mileage and setting goals on my Nike+ site so if I don’t have it with me I try to find reasons not to run! My bag with my running clothes and Nike+ are with me in the car every day!!!

Planning ahead leaves me no room for excuses!!

5 comments:

  1. I love Burts Bees honey lip balm too...good stuff!

    Lately, my must haves are a pair of mittens, a wool hat, and a wad of folded tissue tucked into a pocket to wipe my perpetually running nose. It is so darn cold here these days. My last three outside runs were all in the mid 20s. (I picked sunny days at least...on the blah days I do the treadmill thing).

    I also love my cordless sony mp3 player packed with my crazy 170-185 bpm songs to keep me moving. It is hot pink. No wires or anything to flap around and annoy me. Any little distraction still somewhat derails me, so I try to keep it simple. I took my phone last time.....mounted on a clippy thing stuck down the front of my running tights. Not a good idea...just too heavy....too something...not sure. It was annoying. The world can just NOT find me for 30-45 minutes. I'm ok with that. (I actually take it more for me...in case something happens.....hm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had my daughter, I used Burt's Bees a lot. I had a strange reaction that was pretty awful to something in the OR. However, since then, any time I use that stuff my lips swell up instantly!

    I have to have my Garmin, my ipod, and a headband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta - I am the same way -- stuff out of place or distracting me on my runs makes me crazy!!!
    Have you ever tried any of the many sport belts that are out there?

    Melissa - Allergies are the scariest thing. My family has been living with allergies forever! And, since they change over time you have to be soooooo careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chapstick is a must have of mine (at least in the cold weather it is). I also have to run in either a hat or handband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put on a hat the other day at the running store. My husband said, "I love you but, you were not made to wear hats!" He is right!!!
    I did buy a head band - couldn't stand the cold ears anymore.

    ReplyDelete